8 0 5 . 5 4 5 . 8 8 8 8
1 . 8 0 0 . 6 5 6 . H O P E
Free . Confidential
What is the MyStrength Campaign?
The MyStrength Campaign is a statewide social marketing campaign involving media, local communities, schools, and California’s Rape Crisis Centers
- Developed and implemented by the California Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CALCASA) in partnership with Washington DC’s Men Can Stop Rape
- Focused on preventing first time perpetration of sexual violence
- Enlists men and boys in prevention efforts, encouraging them to take responsibility and find solutions
- Centers around the theme “My Strength is Not for Hurting,” which emphasizes positive masculinity and enables men to maintain their strength without using coercion, intimidation, force, or violence
- Takes an innovative approach to sexual assault prevention by demonstrating the way that young men can play an active role in the movement to end sexual violence
Goals of the MyStrength Campaign
- Change Public Perceptions of Rape and Sexual Violence: primary prevention and education of a population at risk of perpetration
- Overcome Barriers to Prevention: focusing on underserved communities and communities of color in both rural and urban settings
- Involve Men and Boys in Prevention of Rape and Sexual Violence: make young men the target population of the social marketing campaign’s prevention efforts and directly involve these young men in leading prevention activities in their communities and schools.
- Promote Sexual Assault Education: create new tools and materials to use in sexual assault education and awareness building.
Funding comes from Rape Prevention and Education (RPE) funds from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), administered by the California Department of Health Services’ Epidemiology and Prevention Injury Control Branch (DHS/EPIC).
What is the Men of Strength (MOST) Club?
Men of Strength (MOST) Clubs are a group of empowered young men ages 14 to 18 who are committed to the common purpose of taking a leadership role in promoting positive strength and redefining masculinity.
The purpose of a MOST Club is to:
- Provide a safe, supportive environment so young men can connect with each other and explore positive examples of masculinity and male strength.
- Understand how traditional masculinity can contribute to violence, gender inequality, and unhealthy relationships so we can rise above them.
- Inspire with examples of healthy and strong role models of what it is to be a real man today.
- Encourage leaders to promote gender equality and prevent men’s violence among their friends and in their community.
During the 2005-2006 school year, the SARP Center was one of 6 pilot sites in California to operate a MOST Club. We selected Lopez High School in Arroyo Grande to be the location of the MOST Club, and the group met weekly from October to June. The SARP Center plans to continue running the MOST Club at Lopez High School and hopes to expand into at least one more San Luis Obispo County high school for the 2006-2007 school year.
More Information and Materials
To get more information or to download MyStrength posters, postcards, buddy icons, and more, check out www.mystrength.org or www.mifuerza.org.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
— Margaret Mead
One Step Donation